Join thousands of others and become an ethical consumer today.
We are an independent, not-for-profit, multi-stakeholder co-operative with open membership.
At the heart of the ethical consumer movement, since 1989.
We are an independent, not-for-profit, multi-stakeholder co-operative with open membership, based in Manchester.
We provide all the tools and resources you need to make choices at the checkout simple, informed and effective.
Includes guides to: Meat-free products, Plant Milk, Vegan Cheese
The latest magazine includes guides rating:
- Vegan alternatives to meat
- Plant milk
- Vegan cheese
- score tables rating and comparing the brands
- Best Buy recommendations
- why meat and dairy is bad for animals and the environment
- which meat and dairy companies make vegan products?
- which meat-free brands score best for deforestation-free soya?
- plant milk cartons vs dairy milk plastic bottles
- 3 easy steps for ditching dairy cheese
- concern over corporate tax avoidance rising
- the latest boycott news
Feature article on:
- Amazon earning millions from UK universities
Issue 198 (Sept/Oct 2022) now in print and online.
- Ethical and environmental rankings for 26 vegan plant milk brands. We look into the sustainability of plant milks, including almond, coconut, hemp, rice and soya; packaging, and who produces them. We shine a spotlight on Alpro, owned by Danone, and make Best Buy recommendations.Read more
- Ethical and environmental rankings of 17 vegan cheese brands. We look at non-vegan companies making vegan cheese, ethical and environmental issues of the key ingredients of vegan cheese, shine a spotlight on the ethics of Violife's owner KKR and give our Best Buy recommendations.Read more
Finding an ethical and eco-friendly sustainable tea. Ranking the ethical and environmental record of 45 tea brands. We look at fairtrade and organic certification schemes, workers' rights, plastic in teabags, shine a spotlight on the ethics of Tata (Tetley and Teapigs) and give our recommended buys.Read more about Tea
Is there an ethical bank? Rating the ethical and environmental record of 32 UK current accounts, with recommended buys. We also look at app-based banking, which banks own which brands, fossil fuel investments, tax avoidance, and how to switch accounts.Read more about Ethical Bank Accounts
We investigate, score and rank the ethical and environmental record of 17 electricity and gas suppliers. We look at the fuels that generate a supplier's electricity, green tariffs, renewable generation, biogas and 'vegan' energy, smart meters, energy prices and fuel poverty, UK renewables targets and give our recommended buys.Read more about Ethical Energy Suppliers
Finding an ethical and environmental car, including electric cars and hybrids. We rank 39 brands of cars. We look at the carbon impact of different types of cars, the cost and range of electric cars, shine a spotlight on Tesla, and give our recommended buys.Read more about Cars and Electric Cars
We are in a cost of living and inequality crisis. Ethical Consumer Week 2022 and our conference will ask: what’s the role of consumer action in the cost of living crisis? We’ll be investigating who’s benefiting, who’s paying the cost, and the role of government, business and consumers in finding equitable solutions.Read more about Ethical Consumer Week and Conference 2022